Corona Virus (COVID 19) updates
Due to the coronavirus pandemic and in order to take precautions to protect our staff, volunteers and supporters, we are following government advice. The following changes have been made to our usual activities and access:
Last updated: 23rd October 2020.
From 6pm Friday 23 October until the start of Monday 9 November 2020 Wales is entering into a “fire-break” to halt the spread of coronavirus. The following Welsh Government link provides full details of these measures: https://gov.wales/coronavirus-firebreak-frequently-asked-questions
During this period GWT’s policy will change in the following ways:
- Staff are working from home where possible
- Volunteer work parties are cancelled
- Engagement events are cancelled
- Delivery of training courses by GWT staff, or external training courses planned on GWT sites are cancelled. If you are planning to attend external training at an external venue then we recommend you contact the training provider to understand their planned approach.
- The virtual Race for Local Wildlife will go ahead this weekend (as people participate with their households from their home)
- Practical management, wildlife monitoring and livestock management, completed by staff or individual volunteers (e.g. livestock checking) can continue
- Pentwyn Farm Holiday cottage is closed to guests
After the 'fire-break' period in Wales, from Monday 9th November, we anticipate returning to the following measures:
- Volunteers who live in lockdown areas should only volunteer with GWT within the authority boundary of that lockdown area and should not travel to other local authority areas.
- Volunteers who live outside of lockdown areas can volunteer with GWT in any non-lockdown local authority area but should not travel into a lockdown area.
If you are unsure about whether an activity is going ahead, please contact the relevant staff member in advance, or email email@example.com to enquire.
Our offices at Seddon House in Dingestow, Derek Upton Centre at Magor Marsh, the Environmental Resource Centre in Ebbw Vale and Pentwyn Farm in Penallt are all closed. Staff are working from home where possible and continuing essential work outside.
- If you need to contact a member of staff and do not have their email address, call 01600 740600 and leave a message or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are also responding on our Facebook and Twitter pages @gwentwildlife
- We will endeavour to respond to any enquiries as soon as possible, usually within a working day.
- Our Pentwyn Farm Holiday Cottage re-opened in July and is open for bookings from areas where lockdown restrictions permit it.
- Most events and courses are cancelled or postponed until further notice. We hope that many of these events will be rescheduled and we will do all we are able to keep you informed via our website, emails (if you have signed up) and Social Media. Please check our What’s on pages to keep up to date with when events resume.
- Our nature reserves remain open. Public access to our nature reserves will continue as usual until further notice. Please follow the latest government advice if visiting a nature reserve.
- Schools – All bookings are cancelled until further notice. We have contacted schools that are due to visit us at Magor Marsh and the Environmental Resource Centre.
We will update this page as and when the situation changes. If you have any queries, our contact us page has information about how to get in touch.
Thank you for your patience, understanding and co-operation.